Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Switch Plates


Last week Tara left us inspired to create a lot out of a little. Wasn't it refreshing to see scrapping projects made out of scraps!? Well we were trying to think of some easy ideas to freshen up some rooms around the house and we thought how simple a switch plate could be. It can add a finishing touch to a room (a) or bring sweetness and character to a child's nursery (b). Whatever the room is you'd want to tackle, we have some different techniques that can help.

Instructions:
Plate a:
i. I painted the switch plate. I decided it would be more simple to overlay a rectangle of paper rather than trying to fold the corners to mold to the shape of the switch plate.
ii. I cut a 2.5" x 4.25"
rectangle of Fennel paper. I used modge podge to adhere it to the plate.
iii. Lastly, with an Xacto knife I cut out the rectangular hole for the light switch to pop through and hole punched 2 holes for the screws. I finished in under 10 minutes.

Plate b:
i. I simply cut out the pieces I wanted to use from the Playday Rub-ons. Rub-ons adhere to almost any surface. The Playday animals work perfectly for a child's room. Check out some of our other rub-ons for a different room (office, living room, etc).

ii. I finished this switch plate in under 5 minutes once I had decided what animals I wanted to use. Sweet and simple!

Hope this project finds its' way into a few different homes. They're simple ideas like these that can become personalized gifts for under $5.

-Dorthea

6 comments:

Melissa Kaye said...

What a cute way to personalize! LOVE IT!

BethW said...

What a totally brilliant and unique idea. Thank you for sharing it.

Lexi said...

This totally brought back a memory for me! In highschool my light switchplate was clear so I backed it in orange construction paper and pressed leaves in it! Yours are way cuter :)

bethchien said...

that is such a cute idea!!

bethchien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very fun! I love Mod Podge switchplates.

Amy
http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

 

newsletter | shop sei

Free Blog Counter

Pin It button on image hover