Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back to School

It’s already back-to-school time here in East Tennessee, my daughter is already in her 3rd week of classes. We’ve had her ready-to-go for weeks. My youngest daughter is still at home, she missed the Kindergarten cut-off by 6 weeks. That means we have another year of what we call “Mommy School.” Even so, I made her the same items I made for her older sister.


To decorate back packs, or a Library Day book bag as I did for Victoria, look for the self-adhesive luggage tags available almost everywhere.


Using your favorite patterned paper collection, I used the Happy Day paper pad and Glitter Sprinkles, embellish your tag. I decided upon a paper strip at the top of the tag. After I punched a flower shape and backed it with a scrap, I turned it over and covered that scrap paper that was covering the punched flower shape with a Glitter Sprinkle.

{It does have a phone number, I just blurred it for privacy.}

You’ve all heard of lunchbox notes, I’m sure.


My daughter eats at school, so I made her some “backpack” notes, instead. The coupon tucked inside Isabella’s backpack last week said, “Good luck on your test. You’re always a superstar to us.” That note had a star shape punched out.


This note for Victoria will award her a special treat of a Cherry Limeade from Sonic. We’ve begun work on her sight words and she’s doing so well!


If you guessed that this as an upcycled mint tin, you’re right. Go ahead, look for your empty tin now, I’ll be waiting when you get back. With a little measuring, a little trimming and a little embellishing, you will have created an adorable place to stash notes of encouragement and love.

Here’s a look at the inside of the tin. Oh, and the back has a piece of patterned paper to cover what’s printed there.


And just because I couldn’t stop there, I’ve embellished a hair clip that had lost it’s adornment. Again, I used the double-sided flowers that I showed you in Monday’s post and some rhinestones from the Jocelyn collection beaded frill and a mixture of Happy Day and Jocelyn papers to make this hair clip fit for a 2nd grade princess!


Tomorrow is my last day, but no fear...I have 4 layouts to share with you!

4 comments:

Maria said...

I can tell you are such a cute mommy. Thank you for the great tips to help kids feel special.

GoyaDesigns said...

I am gonna use your tin idea. My kids have always enjoyed when I leave them what I call "love notes" in their backpacks or lunch box.

P.S. I'm new to your blog and I love it.

Helen said...

Oh my goodness! These are absolutely adorable! I don't have school-age kids, yet, but it makes me want to make some of these tags for my own bags, totes, diaper bags, toy bags, etc... Thanks for the ideas!

Andrea said...

monika - i love these! you are soo talented :)

 

newsletter | shop sei

Free Blog Counter

Pin It button on image hover