Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Cards

When I make cards, I try to use most of my supplies from one manufacturer, and from the same collection if possible - afterall, everything in that collection is well matched, so that takes the load off trying to match the elements used on the card.


I usually don't have a clue what my card will turn out like in the end - I'll just pick out the colors of my cardstock and patterned papers, and go from there.

For this card (above), I wanted to use the Chickadee line, so I pulled out those papers, some matching-colored cardstock, and worked from there.

I always mat the base of my card with a patterned paper that has subtle images or patterns on it. Then I'll search for another patterned paper that I could cut out the images from. In this case, it's those cute birds and flowers. I'll just cut a few first and play around with the placement of them.

I also love adding a journaling tag or a scalloped border to my card to give it added interest. After deciding the placements of the birds and flowers, I added the sentiment, paper flowers and ribbon to give some texture to the card. Once I'm happy with everything, I'll add a bit of Stickles glitter to make it a little prettier - if needed. I'm a glitter gal. :)


It took me less than 30 min. to finish altering this Ikea frame, mainly because almost everything I used to alter this frame are from the Dill Blossom range of papers.

First I measured and cut out the Carraway patterned paper to adhere to the outer part of the frame, then for the background, I used the Coriander paper, while the flowers were all cut out from the Coriander and Hyssop papers. Then I added a few punched out butterflies and gems, added the stamped sentiment and the frame was complete! It makes for a nice decor piece or something you can put on your office table perhaps. Love it!


I used the same method when I made this christmas card. I used all my supplies from the Christmas Mint collection, and everything fell into place really quickly, which is good for mothers like me who may not have so much free time on our hands, yet we yearn to make a card or two in that short span of time.

I used 3 patterned papers from this collection, namely Peppermint Bark for the background, Ribbon Candy for the strips and Butter Creams for the ornaments that I cut out. Also used some epoxy stickers. After finishing this card, I still had loads of left overs to make a few more cards - how cool is that right?

Making things using SEI papers is a synch as the papers come double sided, and that in itself is value for money, and the designs are always so beautiful and versatile. I love love love making cards, making anything for that matter, with SEI papers - if you haven't tried making one yet, go give it a try - I promise you'll love it!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I really love that last Christmas one! SO cute!

Hilde Aaslund aka Scoobie said...

Love those cards! I find the Bridgeport collection perfect for cards: great color combo and cute little details wich can be cut out and used as embellies.

Melissa Kaye said...

What cute work! I love your design style!

Jenny McGee said...

I liked her magazine post. Her cards are so great too. Thanks for sharing.

Pearl said...

Wonderful to see you being spotlight here , Elaine !!! yay!!!!

 

newsletter | shop sei

Free Blog Counter

Pin It button on image hover