Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tropical Snow

A while back we switched the kids to different bedrooms. We decided to have the two older kids share a room and let the baby have his own. Davis moved into Tess' very pink girlie room. It wasn't until just recently that I was able to redecorate and tie everything together.

I thought it would be fun to do a "Summer Time" room. I grew up in Hawaii and summer is just about all year long. One of my favorite summer time treats is shave Ice from Island Snow. I always order banana and vanilla, it's makes a pretty turquoise color. Pineapple tidbit: I filled out my first job application to work at Island Snow in Kailua. I didn't get the job though.


I thought it would be so awesome to make Tess a shave ice pillow for her bed. I repurposed some old white t-shirts and pants to make this pillow. Spraying Tumble-dye on the wet t-shirt fabric makes the perfect shave ice. I sprayed blue on one side, red on the other, then yellow down the middle to create a rainbow shave ice. The cone needed a little spiffing up, so I added a Salty Pineapple stencil. I love this pillow!


The kids had some wooden initials that I had painted, but were lacking personality. I sprayed tumble-dye on some card stock and created a water color effect. After the ink was dry, I used spray adhesive to attach the paper to the wood. Then I used an x-acto knife to cut off the excess paper. Much better.



For the last major detail to the room, I got the kids involved and sprayed tumble-dye on their sheets. I grabbed some inexpensive sheets that we already had on hand and we headed outside. They each picked out the colors they wanted on their bed sheet and helped design the spray patterns. They were so excited that they were involved in the process and could help to make their room special.

A room makeover doesn't need to be costly or take a lot of time. The total make over was under $50 and it took around two days.

7 comments:

Mackenzie said...

I love the shave ice. It looks so real.

The Despain Gang said...

Very fun room. You're amazing...

hope said...

Really cute ideas.

Christine said...

I think I want this room! It looks like so much fun!!!

Blessings,
Christine

Scrapamum said...

WOW! I think I need you to come redecorate my house!

sean said...

hey cool post. that shave ice brought back memories of visiting island snow in kailua. they are still around too.

Elaine said...

Yummy!! That shave ice looks soo delish! Great room idea - what fun!! :)

And if you are on Maui, be sure to check out the new Kona-Ice shave ice truck in July!! My current boss is moving over there and will have a truck or two on Maui...I can't wait to visit and enjoy some treats

 

newsletter | shop sei

Free Blog Counter

Pin It button on image hover