Friday, July 6, 2012

Specimen Art

Those of you who have read any of my posts know that I create a lot of projects for my daughter, Olivia. I guess you could say she is now my biggest fan! When it came time to redecorate her room (seeing as she is now a sophisticated eight years old) I knew I'd be making some art to hang on her walls.


Many of you have no doubt seen countless photos online of specimen art created with everything from flowers to seashells. Well I made my version of specimen art using one of my favorite Martha Stewart punches and scraps of various SEI patterned papers. This is a great way to use up those pieces that you hoard because they are so beautiful (or is that just me who does that?!).


First, I started with a thrift store frame that I painted white. I then used a little gold Rub 'n Buff around the edges to bring in that sophisticated look I was talking about. The mat was a dull off white color, so I painted it this pretty coral color to match my daughter's room. While that was all drying, I went to work on my butterflies! I used papers from several collections, including Promise Me, Vanilla Sunshine and Field Notes. I added foam mounting tape to the back of each butterfly and lined them all up. Once I was satisfied with the arrangement, I removed the backing and adhered them in place, starting with the outside rows to create a straight, uniform start to my project.


I love the results and the fact that this project only cost me around $2.50 to make! Now that is art I can appreciate!

Jennifer

2 comments:

Laurie T said...

Very pretty! I have been wanting to try something like this for sometime now!

Diana Waite said...

this is SO pretty!

 

newsletter | shop sei

Free Blog Counter

Pin It button on image hover